Increasing age often becomes the cause of many diseases and problems. Such situations often arise when the family members feel that the elders have gone mad. They are deliberately troubling them. Whereas in reality, they are sick and need proper care and love. If someone in the house is suffering from any such disease, how to deal with it? Is there one’s life enhanced while stepping beyond the youth?
I am giving an example, Maya has been behaving strangely for the last few months. She often forgets family members’ names, fails to carry things. Sometimes, Maya doesn’t say anything but sometimes starts crying. She takes a bath several times a day and sometimes comes out of the bathroom without wearing clothes.
The family members feel that she does so because she does not get along with her daughter-in-law. I mean intentional. But Maya has dementia, one of the most prominent diseases of old age. Know about the symptoms and treatment of dementia and other diseases of old age. So that old age does not become a big problem for parents and children.
If someone’s memory has become so weak that it affects daily work, such as forgetting which month is going on, which city they live in, has eaten food or not, people may have dementia. Dementia, Combining Latin words ‘de’ (without) and ‘mens’ (mind) forms dementia. It means the reduced ability of the brain to function.
In this disease, specific brain cells start dying. The thinking power and understanding of the person start decreasing. Their behavior also changes. We can divide dementia into two categories.
First, that is preventable or curable. In this category, one can identify the acute cause of dementia. Like blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, tumors, tuberculosis, sleep apnea, vitamin deficiency, etc.
The second one progresses with age. Alzheimer’s, frontotemporal dementia (FTD), and vascular dementia fall into this category.
1. Alzheimer’s is the most common dementia. There gets a disturbance in the patient orientation along with memory loss. Such as one forgets where the bathroom is in the house, or sometimes they forget the way to their home.
2. In frontotemporal dementia (FTD), along with forgetfulness, there is a lot of change in the patient’s behavior. For example, he becomes very stubborn, angry, becomes irritable.
3. The symptoms of vascular dementia are almost like those of Alzheimer’s. But, it does not occur gradually but occurs suddenly after a stroke.
- Forgetting someone’s name, thing, or words.
- One not being able to recognize even their close ones.
- Difficulty learning new things and making decisions.
- Repeating the same thing over and over.
- Unnecessarily angry, aggressive, or upset.
- One has difficulty with minor tasks such as driving, cooking, dressing, eating, etc.
- Having hallucinations, i.e., having the illusion of being a human or animal, etc.
- Taking drastic decisions such as wearing a thick jacket in summer or sleeping on the ground. Taking off clothes in winter.
What are the reasons?
Increasing age, usual people above 60 years of age become victims
- Smoking a lot
- No exercise at all
- High blood pressure
- Having a family history
- Men are more victims due to genetic reasons
Note: There is no single cause for this disease. Yes, the reasons given above can double the risk of it.
Stages of dementia.
There are seven stages of dementia. Which one can divide further into more subcategories? But not knowing much about this, I am telling you about the five generic stages here.
Stage 1: At the onset of dementia, there are no easily recognized changes. The patient can take care of their needs and concerns. Yet, they forget things even but rarely.
Stage 2: The second stage, forgetting too much. Such people often forget to keep things, ignore the people’s names, time dates. Even they start forgetting what they were doing. At this stage, the patient can take care of themself without help.
Stage 3: Patient began to decline in daily routine, difficulty in speaking. One’s behavior starts changing.
Stage 4: The patient is unable to perform routine tasks. One does not remember eating food, cannot dress, cannot take a bath. One does not recognize their family members and needs someone’s help.
Stage 5: The fifth stage of dementia is hazardous, destroying the patient’s memory. Now, one cannot comprehend things. The patient can’t do any work without the help of someone.
Dementia patients problems and solutions
1. They forget to keep something, forget people’s names and even the food they eat. In the later stages, they don’t even remember to wear clothes.
Solution: First of all, know that they are not doing this on purpose.
Just as we care for a sick person, one must take care of them also. Try to always keep their things like keys, wallet, mobile phone, etc., in one place at all times. Give them mobiles and talk to them on mobile daily to get used to picking up calls and talking on the phone.
Download the Track Me app on their mobile and link it to your phone. You can ask them to wear a watch with a GPS. It will keep you informed about their location. Put a locket around their neck and write their name, home address, and mobile numbers of two family members on it. So that if they go astray, someone will inform you.
2. Anger comes a lot. They get involved in beatings and abuses. They repeat the same thing over and over.
Solution: Don’t argue with them, don’t shout. Remember that they don’t understand what you are saying. If you get angry more, they will get angry even more. They can even harm themselves. If possible, get away from there at that time. Say yes to everything at that time. Say yes, even if it seems wrong.
Of course, please don’t do that later because they too will often forget after a while what they said. Whatever demand is possible to meet, you should fulfil that. It will make them happy.
3. They have no hunger, but they ask for it again, seeing others eating. Then overeat or waste it. They pick up food items and other items and keep them with them.
Solution: Give them less food at once so that you can give them again if they ask for it again. Even if they waste a small amount of food, do not worry about it as usual. Make things they like. Notice what they like to eat, when, and how much. It will give you an idea of dosage. If one has kept more things with them, then pick up some of them but do not pick up all the things, nor lift them in front of them.
4. They try to break things into the house or harm themselves.
Solution: Never leave them alone at home. Lower the furniture too so that they don’t get hurt by bumping. Install strong handrails on stairs and bathrooms. Keep fewer mirrors in the house. It may confuse the patient with Alzheimer’s and sometimes gets scared.
Many patients cry throughout the night or get down on a scuffle. The treatment for this hyper behavior is to take them to the neurologist. One can overcome this problem by taking medicine for two to three months.
5. Usually, they start urinating and potty in clothes.
Solution: It is a much-talked-about stage. Keep one with diapers and change diapers 3-4 times a day in such a situation. If they have tattered, then clean it up immediately. So they won’t spread it. If we have strict discipline in puberty, our life enhanced while stepping beyond the youth?
- Doctors conduct many types of tests. These include vitamin B12, ammonia, thyroid tests, etc.
- CT scan of the head, MRI of the head
- Mini-Mental State Examination: This test is for checking the state of mind. There are a total of 30 questions. It can mark the person as a dementia patient if one gives less than 24 correct answers. Psychologists perform this test that takes 1-1:30 hours to check.
See a neurologist for dementia treatment. The cause of dementia, such as vitamin deficiency or a side effect of medications, may improve with treatment. But in progressive dementia, there is little scope for improvement. They can give medicines, usually to increase acetylcholine (the brain’s primary memory transmitter). But their effect is modest.
It is a disease of the central nervous system, in which there is an uncontrollable tremor in the body parts of the patient. It starts from the hands and spreads throughout the body. The brain does not have proper control over the body’s activities. This problem often begins with a mild tremor in the hand and affects one part of the body more.
Gradually it spreads throughout the body. Then the patient starts losing control of their limbs. In this broadly, three things come to the fore: 1. Slowness in everything, 2. Vibration in hands, 3. Hardening of body parts.
- Tremors or vibrations in the arms or legs.
- Inability to move hands while walking.
- Movement slow, such as strolling or taking time to get up from a chair.
- Hands and feet and other parts become quite stiff.
- Difficulty in automatic movements such as blinking, smiling, moving hands, etc.
- Speaking slowly, stagnantly, and stutter.
- Difficulty in writing.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Good fluctuations in blood pressure.
- No smell of anything.
- Increasing age, the risk increases in people of 60 years or more
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals and pesticides
- Taking drugs
- Head injury
- Boxers are more at risk
Note: What is the real cause of this disease? There can be nothing for sure, but some factors increase it.
For this, there is a clinical investigation. The doctor sees the symptoms and tells whether there is Parkinson’s or not. Apart from this, you can also check with TRODAT with SPECT or the F-Dopa PET scan test. The cost of a trial at AIIMS is around Rs 2100.
There is no complete cure for this disease. But, there can slow down the speed of the disease with medication. There can give Levodopa medicine to increase the brain’s neurotransmitter dopamine. It is a generic name found in different brand names in the market.
Patients taking this medicine should try protein within a gap of one to two hours. Do not eat at all together. Otherwise, it will reduce the effect of the medication, like milk, curd, cheese, egg, lentils, etc.
Along with, if there is depression or there are other emotional issues, then it is possible to treat those. If one cannot control urine, cannot smell, constipation, or has a problem with sleep, then there is a provision to give separate medicine.
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery is very beneficial. A neurosurgical procedure where doctors place neurostimulators (brain pacemakers) inside the brain. This pacemaker delivers electric waves to specific brain parts through a transplanted battery.
A non-chargeable battery lasts 4-5 years and costs Rs 5-6 lakh. In comparison, a chargeable battery lasts 10-12 years but costs Rs 9.5-11 lakh. The cost of surgery is different in private hospitals.
For the patients of this disease, medicine is like fuel in the car, that is, if you put petrol, the car will run. Similarly, if you take medication, you will walk. Otherwise, even walking will not be possible.
Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly in lukewarm water before eating. The average age of Parkinson’s in India is 49.2 years, about 60 years abroad. Possibly insecticide, the reason for this may also be the use of more pesticides in our raw food.
Physiotherapy and exercise have a significant role in this disease. The patient often falls into this disease and has difficulty in walking. Thus, they have to do activities that improve balance, flexibility, and strength. If we had taken some precautions in our teens, this would not have happened. And one’s life becomes enhanced while stepping beyond the youth.
Note: The medicines given here are for informational purposes only. Do not use any medicine without consulting the doctor.
depression and loneliness
Often children get busy, and then parents start feeling lonely. This loneliness gradually takes the form of depression. The elderly start feeling worthless and that no one needs them. Some methods can be effective in dealing with depression. So much for parents:
- Sit for some time with the parents every day. Ask about their condition. Fix some time for this and make a routine, then it is good.
- Do not leave them alone on weekends and go for a walk. If they want to go with you, definitely take them with you. If you do not want to go, sometimes cancel your program and spend a holiday with them.
- Rotate to the places of their choice. Take them to meet their friends and relatives and invite them to your home, too.
- Take their advice in small decisions of the house. Don’t bite them right away if you don’t like something about them. Listen to them comfortably and keep your words in front of them with love.
- Ask the children to play with the grandparents. They share their childhood things happily. Children also enjoy hearing such things.
- Kids can also play games like Sudoku, Ludo, Business Buddy with grandparents.
- Even if you live in another city, talk to them on the phone at least once a day.
so that such diseases do not happen
Parents, don’t have any mental problems can overcome loneliness by keeping themselves busy. Also, they can do some exercises to increase memory. Anyway, people say that using or losing memory means losing it if you do not use the brain. For this, you can tell your parents to try some of these methods. If you can do most of these things from an early age, then you will remain healthy in the future as well. And one’s life becomes enhanced while stepping beyond the youth.
Do a brisk walk for 30-40 minutes daily with yoga and meditation. By doing regular exercise and yoga, anyone can reduce the chances of any disease. Do Surya Pranayama, Kapalbhati and Meditation. Surya Namaskar is very helpful in dealing with depression. You can use the internet or a book to learn how to do Surya Namaskar.
Set your routine
Set your routine even after retirement. Get up at the same time every day. Find work for yourself. Keep yourself busy and involve yourself in some social activity, such as tutoring a med child. If you are a wonderful cook, you can teach someone to make a new recipe.
Increase social interaction with people. Meet family and friends. If relatives or friends are not around, join a community or organization. Spend time there with the people of your choice. Go to the park and make friends with your peers there. Play cards or chess with them.
Online social networking is also a way to pass the time. Yet, it is not as good as meeting someone face to face. Here, think a little before trusting anyone. Also, instead of checking it all the time, set aside a time for it.
Fulfil your hobbies
If there was any hobby you could not fulfill in the days of youth, you can do it now. For example, playing guitar or sitar, learning to swim, etc. Always try something new. Something you haven’t done before. Do or learn at least one new job in a week.
Read newspapers and magazines. Read the parts of the newspaper that you usually skip. Discuss the news with the surrounding people. Listen to the music of your choice. Remember, don’t be sad. Better listen to FM. Go out for enjoyment and watch your favorite movies on TV at home.
Usually, when anyone scatters things, they have a chance to forget them quickly. Set aside a place for things like mobile, keys, diary, purse, etc., and keep them there. In a journal, planner, or calendar, write down your tasks, appointments, events, etc.
Do not do multi-tasking. Do one thing at a time. If you focus on the information you want to get, you will remember it. The brainpower becomes enhanced by a well-organized life while stepping beyond the youth.
Visualize your mind
Visualization is also an excellent way to exercise the brain. Think of an event or place from your childhood. Like when you are stuck in a traffic jam, waiting for an appointment, or getting ready to sleep. It activates the mind and relieves stress. Think of anything that will fill you up with your desires. If you live such a life, definitely one’s life enhanced while stepping beyond the youth.
- Memory remains good by sleeping 7-8 hours a day.
- Do not take lightly diseases like depression, kidney, thyroid, and vitamin B-12 deficiency. They have a terrible effect on memory. Treat them properly.
- Color the house’s walls with fun and uniqueness or apply wallpaper. Keep the decor of the home colourful and exciting. Decorate fragrant flowers in the house.
- Keep a pet in the house. A dog can be a pleasant companion.
- Solve puzzles. (sudoku, maths puzzles, reasoning puzzles, etc.) Doing this will improve your memory.
pay attention to diet
- Eat nutritious food rich in carbohydrates, proteins, and minerals, such as cereals like oats, wheat, eggs, milk-curd, cheese, green vegetables (beans, spinach, peas, fenugreek), and seasonal fruit.
- Eat things rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. (broccoli, cilantro, spinach, walnuts, raisins, sweet potatoes, berries, blueberries, kiwis, oranges, etc.)
- Include omega-3 in the diet. For this, eat flaxseeds, nuts, soybeans, etc.
- Instead of eating discolored food, focus on colorful food. You may consume carrot, tomato, blueberry, orange in the salad.
- Eat milk and milk products or eggs. They contain a good amount of vitamin B12. Fish is also very beneficial.
- Drink plenty of water. Drink plenty of coconut water, buttermilk, etc.
In the End
To make old age worthwhile, one should take some care. I say this, whose youth is good, old age is good; and who spoiling childhood, old age also gets deteriorated.
This old age life is extraordinary. The body that does not have strength has many desires in its mind. Those elders suffer a lot when they have to face the neglect of their children. Human life is scarce. To make this human life meaningful, we must understand something correctly.
Everyone should fix a target on their wedding day, that how long will I be an active household! If a young man marries at 24-25 years, one should consider this. After 25 years from today, when my son will be 20-22 years old, then only till then I will be fully active in the household.
And when I am 50, I’ll wrap myself up. Then, I will give family responsibility to my son- and daughter-in-law. When they can handle the duties of the household and business, I will relax with them. I will keep only so much for myself that I will never have to stretch my hands before them.
And in the end, we should try to make every moment of our life meaningful. Let me say one more thing! Make such a score in the first innings that you do not need to pick up the bat in the second innings. So in this way, one’s life becomes enhanced while stepping beyond the youth. For reading, Thank you. Have a nice day.